- The crown of the Statue of Liberty was re-opened to visitors July 4, 2009, the first time since 9/11.
- My parents would have celebrated their 62nd wedding anniversary this past July 5th.
- The voting age of 18 was proclaimed July 5, 1971.
- Author Henry David Thoreau was born July 12, 1817.
- Andrew Wyeth was born July 12 , 100 years later!
- The first atomic bomb was set off July 16, 1945.
- Neil Armstrong set first foot on the moon July 20, 1969.
- Ernest Hemingway, author and Nobel Prize winner was born July 21, 1899.
- Zack Hoatson, contender for a future Nobel Prize was born 20 years ago on July 22.
- The Korean War ended July 27, 1953
- Emmett Powers passed away July 26, 1964.
- Jackie Kennedy Onassis would have celebrated her 80 birthday this past Tuesday.
- On July 29, 1981 Charles married Diana.
- July 30, 1863 was the birthday of Henry Ford.
- The first US patent was registered on July 31, 1790.
And of course, all over the nation, on the best July day of all, the quintessential summer celebration, July 4th rolled through with parades and fireworks and backyard BBQ's but for our little group of Powers' the crowning glory is always the lobster dinner at Camp Idiot topped off with a few cold ones as we soak in the beautiful landscape of coastal Maine from the "Idiot Wind".Thanks for stopping by, have a fab Friday!