Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Week that Was



I'm back! Ha!
It was a week ago that a vicious little lady by the name of 'Irene' decided that she was going to reek a bit of havoc on our lives. I remember going to sleep last Saturday night with the wind howling and the rain pounding against the windows.
A severe storm was in the forecast for extreme southern NJ, and eastern Long Island with the possibility of some damage to NYC. No mention what so ever of the skylands territory of Northwestern, NJ. Ha! Little did we know.
She was planning a surprise, and it seems nobody was prepared.
We've been without electricity for seven long days. It's been pretty rough. I guess.
No water, no lights, no computer, no television, no stereo, no vacuum, no refrigerator, no ceiling fan, no air conditioners, no internet, no telephone, no shower, and imagine...no toilets.
But we've laughed and we've learned.
We've marveled at the fact that we are safe. Completely, 100%... AOK.
With no damage. At all.
No trees on our roof.
No trees on our cars.
No water in our basement.
No trees on us in our cars.
But I write this cautiously. Because. There are huge trees all over. I love trees. Now, I fear them like the ocean. In her mad rage. And the rivers and the bridges,.... they too break.
The heavy rains combined with power of the wind forever changed the landscape of the little town we call home.
I had the pleasure of visiting the local laundromat twice this week! It was the most happening place in town. Rumors and predictions. Tears and fears. Hope. Anger. Frustration. Quarters were flowing like waterfalls. I met little children who were scared, awww...may their bad dreams be gone forever.
I met big children who were mad, may they know this is but a brief life moment. It too, shall pass.
To the many people that were in the wrong place at the wrong time with no shelter from the storm, may your hearts be filled with peace, and your love live on forever.
I bid the darkness farewell, and I look foward to a beautiful sunrise on the horizon!
With my love and hugs.

PS...Ya' know my little "rolling stone",? I mean "diamond girl"?...well,... ya' know what?!!...she passed the bar exam! Talk about a light at the end of the tunnel.





1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and I appreciated your thoughts on keeping things in perspective! Congrats to your daughter, you must be so proud! ~Lili

    ReplyDelete